For those of you in the Northern Hemisphere, happy sunshine and warmer weather!!! Hope you get to enjoy that Vitamin D!!! But as the weather turns, please remember to stay hydrated and keep your body temperature in check.
Top three tips for staying hydrated this summer:
1) Keep a bottle of water next to your bed and drink it when you wake up in the morning.
- How much water? Answer: 12-32 ounces.
2) Drink 12-32 ounces of water 15-30 minutes before eat meal or snack.
- Why before?
- Drinking water before eating keeps you in a routine of drinking plenty of water.
- It also helps raise your consciousness around when you are eating. It is harder to mindlessly dive your hands in a bag of chips when you have to stop and drink water and then wait 15-30 minutes. That gives you time to decide how you want to fuel your body.
- Many times we misinterpret thirst for hunger, by drinking water, we have the opportunity to check back in with our bodies and really listen to the message it is sending us.
- Water prepares our digestive tracts, so when we do eat, our systems are primed and ready.
- Why not during a meal?
Answer: Drinking liquids during the meal can dilute the digestive juices and acids, which will slow down the digestive process.
- How long to wait after a meal?
Answer: I’ve read various opinions on this topic, but the general guideline I follow is to wait 30-60 minutes after eating (depending on how much you ate and how heavy the foods were)
3) Pay attention to your body temperature
When playing or working out or working outside, pay attention to your body temperature. If you notice that you are getting hot, grab some ice or cold water and wet your wrists, behind your ears, and the back of your neck. By cooling off these 3 spots, you will quickly bring down the temperature of your entire body.
Wishes for a wonderful summer full of well hydrated days!